LAST [TWO] WEEK(S) TODAY: MEGA-EVENT = MEGA OPPORTUNITY
Missing sponsorship news?
Check out the blog every Monday for a weekly roundup of the past week's most exciting and industry-altering news. These stories cover May 21-June 4, 2018 - we missed out last week due to Memorial Day, but we can catch up now!
Mega events are in a class of their own for sponsorships - not in the least because there are so many ways to get involved. With events like the Olympics or the FIFA World Cup, brands are able to get involved with a major governing body like the IOC or FIFA, with a LOC like Pyeongchang 2018 or Russia 2018, or with national teams like perennial favorites Germany, Brazil, or Spain. Notwithstanding the odds, brands can get involved in teams unlikely to win - or even those who didn't make the tournament - depending on the audience they're looking to reach. You can check out the various levels of Olympic sponsorship here, and keep an eye out this summer for our analysis of FIFA sponsorship.
- In case you were somehow unaware, the 2018 FIFA World Cup starts on June 14 in Russia. Deals are being done at a crazy pace with the participating national teams and to take advantage :
- Host nation Russia extended their partnership with adidas as Official Technical Partner (and kit supplier) until 2022. Russia will kick off World Cup play on opening day against Saudi Arabia.
- Les Bleues have found support from two sources:
- First, the French Football Federation renewed their deal with Crédit Agricole until June 2023. Crédit Agricole supports the FFF's domestic club competitions and has been a partner since 1974.
- On the CSD side, the FFF extended with partner Coca-Cola. Their partnership began in 1997, and with this extension, goes until June 2023.
- Though the USMNT didn't qualify for this year's World Cup, Jägermeister will be trying to engage US fans through "The Real Shot," a bracket-style game played on the Draft Kings platform.
- Chipotle signed on with Team Solo Mid as the first-ever TSM Fortnite House sponsor. No word on if this means unlimited queso.
- Is your brand clearly communicating purpose? According to Adweek, brand purpose - specifically,"companies’ positions and efforts on social and environmental issues" matter to both Millennials and Gen Zers when making purchasing and career decisions.
- The country music follow up to Coachella, Stagecoach boasts some spectacular experiential marketing activations of its own. This year, H20+ Beauty Oasis couldn't be missed.
- After the ball-tampering scandal earlier this year, the Australian cricket team lost several sponsors. Recently, Alinta signed a new A$30 million deal with the team. Will this organization see a faster sponsorship recovery than USA Gymnastics, following its own (very different) scandal?
- Automobile brand Mitsubishi has a long history with music. The brand has expanded that commitment in it's new "Freestyle Test Drive" advertising spot in the UK, featuring rapper Harry Mack.
- We've highlighted two very special #SponsorSpotlights since you last saw Last Week Today.
- KIND Snacks is all over the place searching for the right deals. Current partnerships include forays into wakeboarding, music, and literature.
- MuscleMilk, unsurprisingly, sticks more closely to the sports industry for its deals, which 30 NCAA teams featuring heavy hitters like Oregon, Texas, USC, Syracuse, and Florida State.
Did we miss any? Tweet @be_tandem - we hate being behind the times just as much as you do.
Look out next Monday for this week's game-changers.